Flood Waters Are Rising


It seems almost oxymoronic to observe that a swamp has been flooded, but I don’t know how else to describe it.

After days of angry thunderstorms, and heavy rain, the meteorological violence expended itself with a couple of heavy storms. The evening of Monday, July 8, it hit hard, with constant thunder, wind, and driving rain. I went out on the porch to enjoy the sound, and a lightning bolt hit on the far side of the pond, blazing the porch and cabin interior in brilliant blue light, and rocking the cabin with a huge bang. 


Not having slept well, we decided to get an early breakfast at Creekside Cafe.  At 7:30AM, our swamp was full of dirty brown water, our creek was flooded, and we had to drive through water flowing across the township road.  By afternoon, most of the local flooding had subsided.


For the next couple days, we were visited by angry red and orange waves across the online weather maps.  By the evening of Wednesday July 10, the Killbuck had flooded across Route 60 in several places, and was closed.


On Friday, the weather forecasts suggested that there might get weather. Again. Elizabeth headed into town, and thought she’d be back before the worst of the storms. At about 3:30 in the afternoon, just after my last telephone call, another front hit the cabin.  Within minutes, there were whitecaps frothing the pond, the trees were waving back and forth, and thunder and lightning were everywhere.  A lightning strike landed north of the cabin, not quite as close as the one a couple days earlier. The lights flickered, and eventually went out and stayed out.


Meanwhile, Elizabeth had encountered the storm while driving back home. She ended up with a long drive back, dodging falling trees and floods, eventually going miles out of her normal route.  With the power out, and the sky suddenly very pleasant and blue, we took a drive in Dad’s Gator.  Our township road was open, but the Killbuck was higher, and Route 60 was even wetter.  We didn’t seem to have any significant damage, but a nearby neighbor reported that the wind blew the cowl off one of his tractors and carried it 15 feet.  Our power came back on in 3 hours, but some places nearby were out for several days.


With Route 60 still closed on Sunday, some of the neighbors spent the afternoon driving their ATVs through the flood water.  All that precipitation in the Killbuck Valley took a while to drain, and even though the rain had stopped, 60 didn’t open back up until the following Thursday. Although the flood wasn’t high enough to do any real damage, it persisted for over a week.

We thought we’d seen the worst of the weather for the month (to be continued).

Comments are closed.